BACK to Main Page
Also see our Facebook page for news
• The DVD is released for "A Day in the Life of the Golden Gate Bridge" — Buy it now at Amazon.com and CD Baby as well as inside the Golden Gate Bridge Pavilion Store - Featuring the 22-minute documentary "The History of Playing the Golden Gate Bridge" and the backstory of creating the app See the Trailer here: VIMEO and YouTube
• Some news posted by: "Global Reportage"
• (April 2012) SFSE has released an iPhone & iPad app "Play The Golden Gate Bridge"
If you liked the movie using our music, you can play many of the same sounds!
• Our 4-minute art film "A Day in the Life of the Golden Gate Bridge" is being screened at the Walt Disney Family Museum Theater as part of the Golden Gate Bridge 75th Anniversary Commemorative Film Festival "The Bridge on the Big Screen" More info HERE
Check out the Fireworks from the 75th Anniversary Celebration of the Golden Gate Bridge! Click Play, then the full screen button
• KCBS Radio covered the "Play The Golden Gate Bridge" App, listen to Doug Sovern and his story
• New Story "The City Exposed" by Mike Kepka May 25
• MacWorld Online covered the App May 23
• Chronicle News Story (online version) Monday May 21 by Cal Nolte
plus... download PDF file of the Printed news story here ...
• SFSE has released "A Day in the Life of the Golden Gate Bridge" — a new peice of music celebrating the Bridge's 75th Anniversary, Go to iTunes and check it out HERE. It's also on cdbaby.com
• The remastered '50th Anniversary Suite' CD is released at CDbaby. Get the Digital Download Album at iTunes or at Amazon.com
• The '50th Anniversary Suite' CD is also now available at the new 75th Anniversary Golden Gate Bridge Pavilion Store located at the south end of the Bridge.
• 1986 Videos of the SF Synth Ensemble: Logical Funk Ponty's Theme Urban Beat Sharper Image Galaxy
• 1987 TV News reports: NBC Nightly News KPIX with Kate Kelley Evening Magazine Entertainment Tonight
• Scroll down to see some historical photos...and videos and read a written history of the 'recording' of the Bridge by Doug McKechnie
Watch this space in the near future for more historical video, photos, and music download links....
50th Anniversary Suite For The Golden Gate Bridge
CD Track Listing
1. The Golden Gate Before the Bridge
2. The Building of the Bridge
3. The Opening of the Bridge
4. The Present into the Future
Golden Gate Bridge Demo:
5. First Bridge Recording August ‘75
6. The Sounds of the EMAX Synthesizer
7. Playing the Golden Gate Bridge
8. The Ambient Sounds of the Golden Gate Bridge
The CD was recorded and mixed by the band, and mastered by Michael Romanowski. “The Golden Gate Before the Bridge” by Doug McKechnie; “The Building of the Bridge” by Paul J. de Benedictis (de Benedictis Music/BMI); “The Opening of the Bridge” by John Lewis; The Present into the Future” by Scott Singer. Produced by Doug McKechnie & Paul J. de Benedictis. Cover art ‘Robot Playing the Bridge’ by David Wills.
PHOTO: The San Francisco Synthesizer Ensemble: Scott Singer, Doug McKechnie, Paul J. de Benedictis and John Lewis (from left) in 1987
1987 San Francisco Chronicle article, by Carl Nolte. View Large Version
In 1987 The San Francisco Synthesizer Ensemble sampled the Golden Gate Bridge and created a 4-part suite of music for the Bridge's 50th Anniversary celebration. This is one of the news stories that covered the vent: NBC New with Tom Brokaw. Check these other clips too: 1987 TV News reports: NBC Nightly News KPIX with Kate Kelley Evening Magazine Entertainment Tonight In 1986 the San Francisco Synthesizer Ensemble performed live at 'Theater Artaud' (Z Space) in San Francisco. These are some clips from the performances. "Ponty's Theme" is by Scott Singer. Check out these other performance clips too: 1986 Videos of the SF Synth Ensemble: Logical Funk Ponty's Theme Urban Beat Sharper Image Galaxy
Some Historical Photos:
Doug McKechnie with Moog Synthesizer at the 'Altamont Concert' with the Rolling Stones, 1969 Doug McKechnie with Moog Syntesizer in San Francisco, 1971 Paul J. de Benedictis with his Chroma Synthesizer at Doug Mckechnie's studio, San Francisco 1982 The issue of Musicworks Magazine that featured David Wills' artwork, 1975
The San Francisco Synthesizer Ensemble Above, Live at Theater Artaud, San Francisco 1986
left to right: Paul J. de Benedictis, John A. Lewis, Doug Mckechnie, and in front Scott Singer
Left to right: John A. Lewis, Paul J. de Benedictis, Doug Mckechnie, and Scott Singer
For more information contact Doug McKechnie (510) 910-3684 EMAIL: dougmck [at] pacbell.net
Copyright McKechnie Records 2011 • All Rights Reserved